Mmmm ... more comfort food made better with Burns and McCoy. This is another recipe using a sauce from the Wrath of the Gods series. Exhoressco uses 7 Pot Primo peppers and allows you to kick of the heat level using as little as a teaspoon of the sauce. Make a batch of this mac and cheese and let us know what you think.
Servings: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 5 minutes (You can do most prep while cooking.)
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 lb whole elbow macaroni
4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp flour
4 c milk
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
3 c shredded white cheddar cheese
1 c bread crumbs
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
Optional: 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp parsley, or both for added color
1. Cook the pasta about 1-2 minutes less than what is listed on the package as the pasta will finish in the oven. Drain the pasta and place in a 9x13 baking dish. (Feel free to start the cheese sauce while the pasta is cooking.)
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a large pot melt butter over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour. Combine until the mixture is lightly bubbling and just starting to smell a little nutty.
4. Whisk in the milk, 1 cup at a time. Then turn the heat up to medium. Bring the milk to a simmer. Once the milk has thickened, it will coat the back of a spoon, but will still drip a little.
5. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
6. Mix in 3 cups of cheese, 1 cup at a time. Wait 30 seconds between each cup of cheese to let the mixture heat up again. Adding the cheese too quickly will result in a gritty texture.
7. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta. Incorporate everything with a spoon.
8. Melt 2 tsbp of butter and then pour over bread crumbs and salt. Mix to combine. Add 1 tsp of parsley, 1 tsp of parsley, or both for more color. Spread bread crumbs evenly over the top of the pasta.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and the crumbs are golden.
Help us celebrate the #YearofYum. Take a snap pic and tag us @burnsandmccoy.