This recipe had the possibility of being totally wrong or becoming a new comfort food dish in regular rotation. Happy to report it is the latter. Taco lasagna is the perfect combination of two great dishes that will make weekday dinner a breeze, particularly if you use oven ready lasagna noodles. Let’s be real. No one has time to boil noodles. The oven ready noodles turn out great. Note this recipe draws out the flavor of the Especia Rojo, but it isn’t hot. Add a couple teaspoons of Exhoressco if you want something to set your tongue on fire.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 lb ground beef
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
15 oz ricotta cheese
2 ½ c shredded cheese
Optional toppings: sour cream (or greek yogurt), tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, avocado, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Brown beef in saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Chop the onion and pepper while beef is browning.
- Add chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute. Then add chopped green pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the enchilada sauce into the pan, and bring to a boil. Once boiling remove from heat and add hot sauce.
- In a bowl, beat 1 egg. Add ricotta cheese and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, place a layer of lasagna noodles. Then add half of the meat sauce. Add another layer of noodles. Spread the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Add one more layer of noodles. Spread the remaining meat sauce. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for around 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve with preferred toppings.
Help us celebrate the #YearofYum. Take a snap pic and tag us @burnsandmccoy.