Spicy Strawberry Shortcake with Cornmeal Biscuits
The recent warm weather had us yearning for the return of summer. We got it in our heads that a spicy take on strawberry shortcake might tide us over. No such luck. However, this dish is a.ma.zing! We didn’t know that this classic could be made 10 times better. The addition of Burns and McCoy White Lightning provides a level of complexity along with a hint of heat. You won't be disappointed. When you make this super easy dessert, snap a pic and share with @burnsandmccoy on Instagram for a chance to win a year's worth of hot cause.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 ¾ c all-purpose flour
2/3 c cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ c butter (cold)
1 c buttermilk*
*No buttermilk; no problem. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to just under one cup of milk. Let stand 5 minutes.
1 lb strawberries
¼ c sugar
1 c heavy cream
1 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Hull and quarter strawberries and place in a bowl. Add the sugar and hot sauce and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator.
3. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut the cold butter into small cubes. Use a fork to cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
4. Drop ¼ c of mixture onto a greased baking sheet one inch apart. You should have nine biscuits. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
5. For the whipped cream, be sure to use a bowl and whisk that is ice cold. Place the items in the freezer for at least 5 minutes. Whip the cream and sugar until stiff peaks are about to form. But don’t overwork it.
6. Assemble the shortcakes. Top with whipped cream. And dig in!
Help us celebrate the #YearofYum. Take a snap pic and tag us @burnsandmccoy.