Crispy Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Reaper Verde Mango Salsa
We realize not everyone likes tofu. It is easy enough to replace the tofu with chicken or another protein. Burns and McCoy's Reaper Verde is added to the mango salsa and brings a nice kick. If you want more heat, add a teaspoon at a time to the peanut sauce.
Servings: 3 to 4
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
1 15 oz block of extra-firm tofu
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/3 c peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper
4 green onions
1/3 c cilantro, packed
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp Burns & McCoy Reaper Verde
1 head of lettuce (or cabbage)
1. Preheat oven to 400F and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
2. Drain tofu and cut into 3 1/2-in thick slabs. Wrap in paper towels, and press under a heavy object (like a cast iron skillet).
3. Make peanut sauce while tofu drains. Whisk together peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, lime juice, and garlic.
4. Prep the tofu. Cut each slab into 16 pieces (four rows and four columns). Combine oil and soy sauce, drizzle over tofu, and toss to coat. Sprinkle 1 tsp of arrowroot powder or cornstarch over tofu. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp of arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Toss to coat.
5. Spread tofu in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until tofu is deep golden and crispy. Toss halfway through.
6. Make salsa while tofu bakes. Chop mango, bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro. Add lime juice, salt, and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
7. Prep 6 to 8 lettuce or cabbage leaves. Assemble the wraps by layering salsa and tofu. Top with peanut sauce.
Help us celebrate the #YearofYum. Make one of our recipes, take a snap pic, and tag us @burnsandmccoy.